Two-masted schooner yacht built in 1791 at Castetown, Isle of Man. Equipped with Captain Shank's drop keel
system. Her dimensions are: 8.05×2.29(d) m [26'42×7'50], ? tons.
Today (1994) preserved at the Nautical Museum, Grellings Hill, Castletown,
Isle of Man.
- 1791 September
- Launched at Castletown, Isle of Man, for the
Quale family, Castletown, Isle of Man.
- Sailed to England and then brought overland to Lake Windemermere to participate in a regatta.
- Re-discovered and her lines were taken off by P.J. Oke for the
Coastal and River Craft subcommittee of the Society for Nautical Research.
- Basil Greenhill: Further Light on the Use of Drop Keels in the
The Mariner's Mirror Vol. 54, London, 1968. pp 301-302.
- Basil Greenhill: The Schooner Peggy.
The Mariner's Mirror Vol. 53, London, 1967. p 313.
- Basil Greenhill: The Schooner Peggy: An Eighteenth-Century
The American Neptune Vol. 49 (1969), pp 54-61, 4 plates.
- William Sailisbury: The Schooner Peggy of 1789, and her
The Mariner's Mirror Vol. 49, London, 1963. p 146.
Updated 1997-02-25 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives.
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.