Lindö

A three-masted schooner built of oak and pine in 1929 at Björkenäs, Pukavik, as the Yngve for Karl Anders Ögård, Gravarne. Equipped with a 58 H.P. auxilliary oil engine. Dimensions: 26,01×6,74×2,37 m and tonnage: 96,71 GRT and 74,23 NRT.
1929
Launched. Assigned the official Swedish registration number 7532.
1931
From July owned by part-owners managed by Ögård. The auxilliary engine is now 90 H.P.
1939
Sold to Rederi AB Spårö, Västervik, in the spring and renamed to Lindö.
1940
In the fall she was sold onward to Ernst F. Dunér et al. but kept Västervik as her homeport.
1941
Transferred to Rederi AB Österhavet where Dunér was managing director.
1944
January, sold to Erik A.H. Johansson et al. in Stockholm.
1955
Bought by Tage Gustavsson et al. in Edshultshall.
1957
Re-rigged as a ketch ("galeas" in Swedish).
1961
One of the part-owners, Hugo Gösta O. Gustavsson, became the sole owner.
1963
Sold to Kenneth Adolfsson, Bergkvara, in the summer.
1966
Sometime around 1966 sold to Hjalmar Konrad Olsson et al., Kalmar, and was equipped with an oil-engine.
1969
This was the last freight season, the following year she was sold to Peter J. Wood, Hobro.
1975
Left for New York by way of Svendborg where she was re-rigged as a three-masted schooner.
1983
The Alexandria Seaport Foundation bought the schooner and renamed her the Alexandria.
1996 September
Sold to Yale Iverson, Des Moines, Iowa, when it was found that she required extensive repairs.
1996-12-09
Foundered some 50 miles SW off Cape Hatteras, NC, USA, on voyage to Beaufort, NC. The crew was saved by the US Coast Guard. Article in Washington Post, 1996-12-10.

Updated 1996-12-13 by Lars Bruzelius


Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives top-page.

Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.