A three-masted steel topsail schooner built in 1893 by Paul Rodgers & Co. and Robert Kent & Co., Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland, as Yard No. 39.
Dimensions: 31,09×6,61×2,29(d) meters [102'0×21'67×9'58(d)] and tonnage: 122 GRT and 88 NRT.
Basil Greenhill records in his The Merchant Schooners that there was an
inscribed polished metal plate at the companion way to the cabin of the
"Result" with the text:
- 1893 January 6
- Launched at the Carrickfergus Shipyard, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland. The original owner of the shipyard, Paul Rodgers & Co., was forced to sell the yard to Robert Kent & Co. who launched and completed the schooner for Thomas Ashburner & Co, Barrow, England. Employed in the Welsh slate trade.
- Sold to G.C. Clark et al., Brunton, Devon, at an auction at Connah's Quay when the Ashburner fleet was dispersed. The master of the schooner was Captain S.J. Ingledon, one of the six partowners.
- Fitted with a single cylinder 45 hp aux. Kromhaut engine.
- Taken over by the British Admiralty to be fitted out as the Q-ship HMS Q 23.
Rerigged with double topsails and equipped with a quick-firing gun on the aft hatch.
- 1917 February 15
- Engaged and damaged the German submarine U-45.
- 1917 April 4
- Engaged another submarine near the North Hinder Light and was seriously damaged by gunfire from the submarine.
- 1917 August
- Returned to her owners and reduced to a fore-and-aft schooner.
- Rerigged as a top-sail schooner.
- Reduced to a fore-and-aft schooner again.
- The the topmasts were removed and a new 120 hp engine fitted.
- Temporary rerigged as a topsail schooner for the filming of An Outcast of the Islands.
Afterwards, the mainmast was removed and the schooner changed into a "sail assisted" motor ship.
- Laid up.
- Sold to the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum, Cultra, Holywood,
County Down, Northern Ireland, to be preserved as a museum ship.
January to April 1917
Commanded by Lt P.J. Mack, RN
Second in Command Lt. G.H.P. Mulhauser, RNR
In Action with U45, 15th February 1917
Renamed "Dag" and in action with a German
Submarine on April 4th 1917.
Presently exhibited on land at the museum in a reportedly bad condition.
- Greenhill, Basil: The Merchant Schooners.
Percival Marshall, London, 1951.
- M. McCaughan: Result Goes Home.
Ships Monthly, 1980.
- M. McCaughan: Paul Rogers, an Ulster Shipbuilder and his Welsh Connections.
Maritime Wales No. 7, 1983.
Updated 1999-06-18 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.