A wooden barque rigged sloop-of-war built in 1878 by the Sheerness Dockyard, Sheerness, for the Royal Navy.
Her dimensions are 51,82×10,97×4,57(d) meters (170"×36"×15") and tonnage 1130 GRT and with a displacement of 1230 tons. Equipped with a 100 hp steam engine driving a single hoist-up-screw.
- 1878 August 31
- Launched at Sheerness Dockyard, Sheerness, for the Royal Navy.
- Bombarded together with HMS Starling the port of Suakin which had been besieged for more than three months.
- 1903 May 16
- Renamed HMS President and used as a training ship.
- Lent to the TS Mercury Establishment at Hamble to be used as a boys training ship.
- 1913 October
- Sold out of the navy and renamed TS Mercury to be used as a boys training ship.
- 1950 [?]
- The TS Mercury was closed at the retirement of C.B. Fry.
- The TS Mercury was closed.
- Renamed Gannet.
- Sold to the Maritime Trust.
- 1987 July
- Moved to The Historic Dockyard, Chatham, whith the intention to restore her to her 1886 appearance.
Is presently  being restored.
Updated 1998-11-26 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.