Built in 1859 by Ditchburn & Mare (Thames Ironworks & Shipbuilding Co),
Blackwell, as a 36-gun, armoured iron steam frigate. The armour belt which covered the entire battery was 4½ " thick and was backed by 18" inch of teak.
Equipped with Penn's horizontal trunk engines developing 5267 ihp.
Taken out of active duty in 1881 and subsequently served as a stationary
training ship and a torpedo depot.
Originally armed with:
At the time of her completion the most powerful ship-of-war in the world.
|26 ||68 ||pound muzzle loading guns
|10 ||110 ||pound Armstrong breech loading guns
|4 ||40 ||pound Armstrong breech loading guns
|2 ||20 ||pound Armstrong breech loading guns
|1 ||12 ||pound Armstrong breech loading gun
|1 ||6 ||pound muzzel loading gun
- 1859 May 25
- Laid down at the shipyard of Ditchburn & Mare (Thames Ironworks & Shipbuilding Co), Blackwell.
- 1859 December 29
- 1861 October 24
- 1864 November 22
- Paid off and taken to the Portsmouth Dockyard
for a refit.
- Paid off.
- 1901 May - 1902 July
- Served as a hulk for torpedo stores.
- 1902 August
- Served as a depot ship for the Portsmouth destroyers
and was renamed Vernon III.
- 1904 April
- Served as a floating workshop at the
Naval Torpedo School the HMS Vernon, Portsmouth.
- 1923 Octover 1
- Given back her original name.
- 1923 October 23
- Converted to a mooring hulk
for oil tankers at Pembroke Dock.
- 1979 June 12
- Handed over to the Maritime Trust.
- 1979 September 2
- Towed from Milford Haven to Hartlepool.
- Lambert, Andrew: Warrior. Restoring the World's First Ironclad,
- Morgan, T. Fraser: Notes on Warrior Rigging 1860-1997.
Third International Conference on the Technical Aspects of the Preservation of Historic Vessels, San Francisco, CA, 1997.
Updated 1998-12-08 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.