THE BARQUE JUNIUS. — GRATIFYING INTELLIGENCE. — In the account of the loss of the whaling barque Junius, of this port, in Mozambique Channel, Oct. 21, 1851, published in our columns some months since, it will be recollected that Mr. Luzon Weeks, mate, together with three men, were reported as supposed to have been lost by the swamping of their boat in attempting to leave the wreck. We are happy in being able to state that letters were received hare on Saturday from Mr. Weeks, announcing his safety. Mr. Weeks states that himself and two men in attempting to leave the wreck in a boat, were capsized, and that he succeeded in regaining the wreck, but saw nothing more of his companions. He gives their names as B.B. Nye and C.B. Hackett, but he is evidently under a misapprehension as to the identity of these persons, both of who were reported by Capt. Nye, as having been saved in his boat, and one of them has since returned home. This misapprehension is doubtless to be attributed to the anxiety and confusion at the moment in the darkness of the night. Mr. Weeks adds:

On regaining the wreck we cut away main and mizzen masts, and did the best we could for safety, the sea breaking over us continually during the night. At daylight we launched our new boat over the bows and embarked in her; the hulk of the barque having almost broken up, and the cargo being washed away. I found the ship's papers on deck, and still have them in possession. We steered northward, before the wind, and were compelled to haul our boat over a coral reef a distance of half a mile, to launch her on the lee. On the sixth day, Oct. 28th, we made the coast of Madagascar, lat. 18 S., much exhausted from fatigue and exposure, and without water. On the 29th, a heavy gale commenced from the West, and we had quite despaired of reaching the coast, when we were providentially fallen in with by a Zanzibar vessel, and taken to Mantasard, where we remained several days, and then proceeded to Marra Bay, where on the 11th November we were kindly received by the "Rasquaso," and provided with a passage on board the brig Grenau of Marseilles, and arrived at Noa Bay, Dec. 3, all well. The commandente very kindly supplied us with every necessary for our comfort. The Mary Ann, Capt. Farnham, of New York, is here, and offers to take us all as far as Zanzibar, and home, if there is no American consul there. Four of us will go with him. Several of the crew of the Mary Ann had been attacked with cholera, which proved fatal in one case, but all others recovered.

The letter from which we have derived the foregoing extract is dated at Noa Bay, Madagascar, Jan. 15, 1852; but does not give the number or names of those who accompanied him on leaving the Junius. The names of those who left the ship in the captain's boat are Geo. Corey, (returned home), Barna B. Nye, Jr., Jose Francis, Joseph W. Clark, Wm. B. King, John Williams, Calvin B. Hackett. -- New Bedford Mercury

The Boston Daily Atlas, June 15, 1852.

Transcribed by Lars Bruzelius.

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | The Boston Daily Atlas | Search.

Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.