County of Inverness
A four-masted iron ship built in 1877 by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow.
Dimensions 81,22×11,78×7,16 meters
[266'6"×38'8"×23'6"] and tonnage 1716 GRT and 1636 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails above double top- and single topgallant sails.
- 1876 September
- Launched at the shipyard of Barclay, Curle &
Co., Glasgow, for R. & J. Craig, Glasgow. The first master was Captain R.
McKenzie. Used in the Indian jute trade.
- 1899 April 28
- Arrived with a cargo of jute to Dundee from
Chittagong after a voyage of 105 days.
- Sold to Shaw, Sawill & Co., Glasgow.
- Sold for £ 2250 and was hulked at Rio de la Plata
under the name Dora.
- Was re-rigged for a cost of £ 5000 and was sold to
R. Boussac, Bordeaux, for £ 30.000 and given the name Carmen.
- Sold to Société d'Importation du Nord et de l'Est (M. Ramet), Bordeaux.
- Converted to a steam ship.
- Owned by Compagnie Franco-Atlantique de Transports, Bordeaux.
- Sold to Estonia and given the name Nemrac.
- Sold to Soc. Anon. Emanuele V. Parodi, Genoa and was renamed Amicizia.
- 1945 April 10
- Sunk in Hamburg during an air-raid.
- Salvaged and broken up.
Updated 1996-07-10 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.