Earl of Dalhousie

A four-masted steel barque built in 1884 by A. Stephens & Sons, Dundee. Dimensions 80,64×11,75×7,11 meters [264'0"×38'7"×23'4"] and tonnage 1765 GRT and 1677 NRT. Rigged with with royals over single topgallants.

1884 May
Launched at the shipyard of A. Stephens & Sons, Dundee, for W. Stephen, Dundee.
Captain John C.B. Jarvis, Dundee, was given command of the ship.
1885 May 12
The Earl of Dalhousie capsised in the San Francisco Bay when she was going to be towed to the Oakland Flats for cleaning and painting of the lower sides. To ensure stability without any ballast Capt. Jarvis took down all yards except for the mainyard. The top-sail yards were slung three-by-three over the sides, while the other yards were stowed on deck. It was the intention to tow the ship in the morning when it was supposed to be calm.

That day the afternoon breeze came unusually early for that time of year, already before noon and the tugboat Result had to labour to also counter the incoming tide. When the Result turned starboard to avoid the anchored American ship Bell O'Brian, the strong breeze made the Earl of Dalhousie heel hard over. The first time she managed righten herself, but at the next gust of wind she lay over on her side and eventually turned over completely.

As a result of the accident Captain Jarvis was suspended for six months. The ship was subsequently salvaged and re-rigged under supervision of Captain John Jarvis assisted by his father.

Sold to G. Gordon & Co., Dundee.
Appeared in Lloyd's Register for the last time.

Updated 1997-02-22 by Lars Bruzelius.

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships | Four-masted ships & barques | Search.

Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.