Earl of Jersey
A four-masted iron ship built in 1883 by Barrow Shipbuilding Co., Burrow-in-Furness.
Dimensions: 88,56×12,97×7,23 meters [290'7"×42'7"×23'9"] and tonnage: 2129 GRT and 2052 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and single topgallant sails.
- 1883 October
- Launched at the shipyard of Barrow Shipbuilding Co., Burrow-in-Furness, for D. Brown & Sons, London. Used in the Indian jute trade. Captain R. Skinner.
- 1886 July 5 - October 2
- Sailed from Barry to Singapore with a cargo of coal under command of Captain Peters.
- 1887 March 15
- Arrived in Dundee from Calcutta with a cargo of jute.
- 1887 September 29
- Stranded at the entrance to the Chittagong River, Bay of Bengal on voyage from Chittagong to Dundee with a cargo of jute. Captain Peters was in command.
Updated 1997-03-14 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.