A four-masted steel barque built by Harland & Wolff,
Belfast, as Yard No. 262
Dimensions: 100,49×13,73×8,09 meters [329'8×45'1×26'7]
and tonnage: 3043 GRT and 2947 NRT.
- 1892 February 27
- Launched at the shipyard of Harland & Wolff,
- 1892 April 19
- Delivered to Irish Shipowners Co., Belfast, and
managed by T. Dixon and Sons, Belfast.
- 1898 May 18
- Sold to
Aktiengesellschaft "Alster", Hamburg, and was renamed Alsternixe. Assigned the German signal RKWF. The German measurements were 97,63×13,77×8,20 meters and 3039 GRT.
- In command of Captain E.H. Hellwege.
- Sailed from Lizard Point to Tocopilla in 94 days.
- Sailed from Tocopilla to Lizard Point in 87 days.
- Sailed from Lizard Point to Coquimbo in 88 days.
- Sailed from Tocopilla to Lizard Point in 104 days.
- In command of Captain H. Engel.
- Sailed from Lizard Point to San Francisco in 139 days.
- Sailed from San Francisco to Lizard Point in 162 days.
- In command of Captain R. Auhagen.
- Sailed from Glasgow to San Francisco in 117 days.
- 1903 February 9
- Stranded during hard weather at the entrance to the Columbia River, 1 ½ mile SW of the Cape Disappointment Lighthouse. The ship was successfully salvaged several weeks later.
- Sailed from Portland, OR, to Tsingtau in 58 days.
- Sailed from Tsingtau to Victoria in 55 days.
- Sailed from Tacoma to Callao in 88 days.
- Sailed from Callao to Taltal in 21 days.
- Sailed from Taltal to Lizard Point in 116 days.
- In command of Captain A. Erdmann.
- In command of Captain L.M.H. Althaber.
- 1906 November 26
- Left Callao in ballast for Melbourne and
Updated 1997-06-06 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.