A four-masted steel barque built in 1916 by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg.
Dimensions: 98,26×14,37×8,10 meters [322'5×47'2×26'5] and
tonnage: 3100 GRT & 2880 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails.
A sister ship to the same owner's four-masted barque Priwall built in 1917.
- Keel laid.
- 1916 October 21
- Launched at the shipyard of Blohm & Voss,
F. Laeisz, Hamburg.
- 1919 November 11
- Taken over by the Allies.
- 1920 October 9
- Left Hamburg for Dunkerque under command of
Captain Brockhöft and was delivered to the French Government as war damage
compensation. Laid up.
- Sold to Sté. Armateurs Français, Dunquerque.
- 1923 September
- Towed to St. Nazaire where she was laid up in
the Canal de la Martinière for a year because of the depressed freight
- Sold to Sté de Navigation "Les Navires Ecoles
Français" for 511.050 francs and was rebuild as a cargo carrying sail
training ship and was renamed Richeliu.
- 1924 November 20 — February 17
- Sailed from the Loire to
Port Lincoln in 89 days under Captain Ch. Populaire.
- Sailed from Port Lincoln to Land's End in 102 days. After
having unloaded the cargo at Liverpool she returned to Brest where she was
laid up for a year.
- 1926 November 7 — December 16
- Sailed in ballast from
Brest to Baltimore, MD, via Madeira in 39 days under Captain Cornec.
- 1927 January 1
- Caught fire while loading 3200 tons of pitch in
Baltimore for Lorient and had to be scuttled to estinguish the fire. The
wreck was salvaged and the wreck was sold for $ 3000 and the hull was used as a
- Broken up in Baltimore.
Updated 1997-02-15 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.