A four-masted steel barque built in 1890 by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow.
Dimensions: 85,13×12,71×7,41 meters [279'4"×41'9"×24'4"] and tonnage: 2276 GRT and 2190 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and single topgallant sails.
- 1890 March
- Launched at the shipyard of Russell & Co., Port Glasgow, for Strathgryfe Ship Co., Greenock. Captain D. McRitchie.
- Sold to D. McGillivray, Greenock.
- Stranded at Wilsons Promontory, Australia, and remained there until she was salvaged the following year.
- 1905 June
- Sailed from Newcastle, NSW, for Pisagua with a cargo of coal. Twelve days out she was hit by a squall which carried away the topgallant masts. The coal cargo shifted and she was in a dangerous position for several days until she could be righted again.
- 1910 July 30
- Sold to
H.H. Schmidt, Hamburg, for £3850 and was renamed Margaretha. Assigned the German signal RQLS. Captain H. Wendt.
- Sailed from Dungeness to Australia in 82 days. The best 24-hour distance covered was 297 miles.
- Captain H. Wendt.
- Captain A. Heinrich.
- Seized by the Portuguese Government at the Ponta Delgada, the Azores and was sold to Portuguese owners who renamed her Graciosa.
- 1918 August 24
- On voyage from North Shields to Lobito Bay she was discovered and sunk with a torpedo by the German submarine U 90 in position 59°N, 5°W.
Updated 1997-02-22 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.