A four-masted steel barque built in 1890 by A. McMillan & Son, Dunbarton.
Dimensions 83,21×12,87×7,31 meters [273'0"×42'3"×24'0"] and tonnage
2150 BRT and 1999 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top- and topgallant sails.
- 1890 July
- Launched at the shipyard of A. McMillan & Son, Dunbarton,
for J.W. Carmichael & Co., Nova Scotia. Captain Meikle was given command of the ship.
- 1894 February 12 — April 18
- Sailed from Wallaroo to Queenstown f.o.
in 66 days. This is the fastest Australian grain-passage on record.
- Sailed from Liverpool to Sydney in 82 days.
- Sold to W. Lewis & Co., Glasgow.
- 1905 January 14
- Sailed from Hamburg with a cargo of coke for
Coquimbo under command of Captain McDonald. After having been severly damaged
in stormy weather she was driven in the vicinity of Greenland. By rigging a
jury rudder Capt. McDonald was able to sail the ship back to the Clyde for
- Arrived at Rio De Janeiro after 135 days with rudder
- 1910 March 15
- Sailed from Cardiff with a cargo of coal [?] for
the West Coast under Captain Pine.
- 1910 May 5
- Wrecked in heavy weather at Cabo St Antonio, Staten Island, with a
great loss of life including the master, Captain Colin Fraser and his young wife. Of a crew of total 29, only 14 survived.
Updated 1999-10-09 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.