A four-masted steel barque built in 1891 by Ramage & Ferguson, Leith.
Dimensions: 96,08×13,71×7,62 meters [315'3"×45'0"×25'0"] and tonnage: 2859 GRT, 2732 NRT and 4400 DWT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails.
- 1891 February
- Launched at the shipyard of Ramage & Ferguson, Leith, and was delivered in April to G.N. Gardiner & Co., Liverpool. Captain Ritchie. Used in the Indian jute trade.
- Sailed from Hamburg to Calcutta with a cargo of 3100 tons of salt in 107 days.
- Sold to J. Joyce & Co., Liverpool.
- Sold to D.H. Wätjen & Co., Bremen, and was renamed Magdalene. The new German measurements were 94,32×13,72×7,7 meters and 2809 GRT. Assigned the German signal QGGK. Captain E. Susewind.
- 1913 July 29
- Sold to Rhederei Akt. Gesellschaft von 1896, Hamburg, and was renamed Ophelia. Captain H. Timm.
- Interend at Caleta Coloso for the duration of the war.
- Handed over to France as war damage compensation.
- Sailed from Calaeta Buena to Brügge with a cargo of nitrate in 215 days.
- Bought back to Germany.
- Broken up at Kaiserwerft, Wilhelmshaven.
Updated 1997-02-16 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.