A four-masted iron ship built in 1884 by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow.
Dimensions: 84,24×12,54×7,31 meters [276'5"×41'2"×24'0"] and tonnage: 1972 GRT and 1923 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and single topgallant sails.
Sistership to D. Currie & Co's fourmasted ship Cluny Castle (1883).
- 1892 January
- Launched at the shipyard of Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow, for Hendry, Ferguson & Co., Glasgow. Captain J. Scurr.
- Sailed from London to Sydney in 99 days. 42 days to the Line. On April 28 she sailed 370 miles in 46°S, 68°E.
- Sold to W. Letham, Greenock.
- Sold to Ferguson & Letham, Greenock.
- Sold to J. Rae, Greenock.
- Sailed from San Francisco for Queenstown with a cargo of grain.
- 1897 January
- Wrecked at the Copeland Island, St Georges Channel during towage from Queenstown to Dublin when the cable parted in a severe gale.
[Hurst has "Mew Island" and Lubbock "New Island"]
Updated 1997-02-16 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.