Ville de Havre
A four-masted steel barque built in 1899 by Forges et chantiers de la Meditérranée, Le Havre.
Dimensions: 95,09×13,81×7,46 meters [312'0"×45'4"×24'6"] and tonnage: 3215 GRT and 2428 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails.
Sistership to the same owner's fourmasted barque Ville de Mulhouse (1899).
- 1899 July 24
- Launched at the shipyard of Forges et chantiers de la Meditérranée, Le Havre, for Compagnie des Voiliers Havrais (H. Genestal & fils), Le Havre. Captain A. Testulat.
- 1899 October 31
- Sailed from Le Havre to Saigon with a cargo of briquettes, but had to turn back after ten days when some loose rivets were found in the hull.
- Stranded during a tornado at Poro, New Caledonia, but could be re-floated and repaired.
- Sailed from Batavia to Rotterdam in 90 days.
- Stranded at Noumea, New Caledonia, but could also this time be re-floated with the help of the steamer St Antoine.
- Sold to Société Générale Nouvelle d'Armement, Nantes.
- 1916 March 1
- Left Ipswich for Buenos Ayres under command of Captain E. Ybert.
- 1916 March 8
- Sunk by a German submarine U 32 off Ushant in position 48°48'N, 6°36'W.
Updated 1997-05-20 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.