Walter H. Wilson
A four-masted iron barque built in 1882 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, as Yard No.
Her dimensions were 93,89×12,97×7,53 meters
[308'1"×42'7"×24'9"] and tonnage 2518 GRT, 2461 NRT and 2347 tons under deck.
The forecastle was 34 ft long and the poop 58 ft.
Rigged with double top- and topgallant sails and royal sails.
- 1882 July 6
- Launched at the shipyard of Harland & Wolff,
Belfast. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 86533 and signal WMFC.
- 1882 August 18
- Delivered to Samuel Lawther & Co., Belfast.
- 1899 [?]
- The cargo of 2120 tons of coal and 857 tons of cokes caught fire. The ship had to be towed into Bahia where the smouldering fire was finally extinguished.
- Sold to J. Edgar & Co., Liverpool, and was renamed
- Sold to R. Mattson, Mariehamn. The new master was Captain
- 1913 January 15
- Wrecked in a storm on St Mary's Island in the
Whitley Bay, North Shields, while under tow in ballast from South Shields to
The figurehead is preserved at the ┼lands
Updated 2001-01-22 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sj÷historiska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.