A three-masted schooner built of oak and pine in 1929 at Björkenäs,
Pukavik, as the Yngve for Karl Anders Ögård, Gravarne.
Equipped with a 58 H.P. auxilliary oil engine. Dimensions: 26,01×6,74×2,37 m and tonnage: 96,71 GRT and 74,23 NRT.
- Launched. Assigned the official Swedish registration number 7532.
- From July owned by part-owners managed by Ögård.
The auxilliary engine is now 90 H.P.
- Sold to Rederi AB Spårö, Västervik, in the spring and renamed to Lindö.
- In the fall she was sold onward to Ernst F. Dunér et
al. but kept Västervik as her homeport.
- Transferred to Rederi AB Österhavet where Dunér was
- January, sold to Erik A.H. Johansson et al. in Stockholm.
- Bought by Tage Gustavsson et al. in Edshultshall.
- Re-rigged as a ketch ("galeas" in Swedish).
- One of the part-owners, Hugo Gösta O. Gustavsson, became the sole owner.
- Sold to Kenneth Adolfsson, Bergkvara, in the summer.
- Sometime around 1966 sold to Hjalmar Konrad Olsson et al., Kalmar, and was equipped with an oil-engine.
- This was the last freight season, the following year she was sold to Peter J. Wood, Hobro.
- Left for New York by way of Svendborg where she was re-rigged as
a three-masted schooner.
- The Alexandria Seaport Foundation bought the schooner and renamed her the Alexandria.
- 1996 September
- Sold to Yale Iverson, Des Moines, Iowa, when it was found that she required extensive repairs.
- Foundered some 50 miles SW off Cape Hatteras, NC, USA, on voyage to Beaufort, NC. The crew was saved by the US Coast Guard.
Article in Washington Post, 1996-12-10.
Updated 1996-12-13 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives top-page.
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.