A full-rigged iron [steel according to Lloyd's Register] ship built in 1886 by Charles Connell and Co., Glasgow, Scotland. Her dimensions
are 91,5×11,7 m [256'5"×38'6"×22'7"], with a tonnage of 1689 GRT,
1614 NRT and 1534 tons under deck.
The Balclutha is presently exhibited as a museum ship in San Fransisco.
- 1886 December
- Launched at the shipyard of C. Connell & Co.,
Glasgow, Scotland, for R. McMillan, Glasgow. Her first master was Captain J.F.
- Lloyd's Register: Captain J. Binnie.
- Sold and put on the Pudget Sound-Australia timber trade.
- Given US Registry by special act of the Congress.
- 1904 May 16
- Stranded on Sitkin Island, one of the Geese Islands
off Kodiak, Alaska, while on charter to the Alaska Packers' Association.
- Sold to the Alaska Packers' Association, San Francisco, for USD 500 and was renamed Star of Alaska.
- Returned to San Francisco after a lengthy salvage.
- Last canning voyage under sail.
- Laid up.
- Bought by Frank Kissinger who renamed her the Pacific
Queen and who exhibited her on the West Coast "painted like a circus wagon
with a silver hull, brilliant red masts and spars, and a gilt figurehead".
- Exhibited at the Fisherman's Warf, San Francisco, CA.
- Sold to the San Francisco Maritime Museum for USD 25.000 and
was given back her original name Balclutha.
- Transferred to the National Park Service.
Photograph taken at the Hyde Street Pier.
Updated 1999-04-23 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.