A three-masted iron barque built in 1874 by Bartran, Haswell & Co, Sunderland, England, as the Clan MacLeod for Thomas Dunlop.
Her dimensions are: 54,71×9,54×5,33(d) [179'5"×31'3"×17'5"] and with a tonnage of 671 GRT, 646 NRT and 629 tons under deck.
- 1874 February 18
- Launched at the shipyard of Bartran, Haswell & Co, Sunderland, for Thomas Dunlop & Co., Glasgow. Assigned the Official British Reg. No. 6806 and signal MRVJ.
- 1877 July 29
- Put into Rio de Janeiro for repairs aftre having received storm damage off Cape Horn.
- LR 1879-1880: Captain R. Wilson, master.
- Sailed from Portland, OR, to Queenstown f.o. in 113 days.
- Sold to Sir Roderick W. Cameron, Glasgow.
- Captain H. Whitney replaces Captain MacLeod as master of the ship.
- Sailed from Wellington, NZ, to Boston, MA, in 75 days.
- 1900 August 15
- Sold to J.J Craig, Auckland, New Zealand. Employed in the Tasman trade.
- 1905 December 14
- Renamed James Craig.
- Laid up due to lack of work. Sold to British New Guinea Development Co.
- Sold to H. Jones & Co. and was re-rigged at Sydney.
- Condemned and and laid up at Hobart, Tasmania.
- Beached at Recherche Bay, Tasmania, and was abandoned.
- Towed to Sydney for restoration.
Presently preserved as a museum ship at the
Sydney Heritage Fleet where she is undergoing restoration.
See also the official James Craig page.
Updated 1998-05-12 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.