A three-masted steel barque built in 1896 by Anderson Rodger & Co., Port Glasgow, for Sterling & Co., Glasgow. Dimensions: 68,11×11,44×6,86 meters [223'3"×37'5"×22'5"] and with a tonnage of 1613 GRT, 1490 NRT and 1515 tons under deck.
1896 December 3
Launched at the shipyard of Anderson Rodgers, Port Glasgow, and delivered to Archibald Sterling & Co., Glasgow. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 102574 and signal PMVL.
1896 December 13
Sailed for Liverpool in ballast.
1898 March 25
Sold to the Islamount Sailing Ship Co. (Robert Ferguson & Co), Dundee, and was renamed Islamount.
Sold to Flint Castle Shipping Co. (R. Thomas & Co, managers), Liverpool.
Operated by J. Stewart & Co., London, for the Shipping Controller.
Sold to Societa Italiana di Navigazione "Stella d'Italia", Milan, who modernised her, renamed her Clarastella and registered her at Genoa. She was also fitted with two aux. diesel engines.
1922 March 29
Acquired by the Spanish Navy to be used as a sail training ship. Rebuilt at Cautieu Navale Triestino, Monfalcon (Triest) and renamed the Galathea.
Became a training ship for non-commissioned officers and used for special training exercises.
1946 October
Lost almost the entire rigging in a severe storm, but managed to put into Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
1960 (?)
Laid up at El Ferrol del Caudillo.
1992 March 31
Sold at auction to the Clyde Maritime Trust for ESP 8.000.000 to be turned into a museum ship in Glasgow.
1993 June 1-9
Towed form Seville to Greenock.
Presently (1994) berthed at Yorkhill Quay, Glasgow.


Updated 1998-12-08 by Lars Bruzelius.

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships.

Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.