A steel fullrigged ship built in 1902 by Chantiers & Ateliers de St. Nazaire, St. Nazaire. Dimensions: 281'1"×40'7"×22'7" and tonnage: 2299 GRT and 2011 NRT.

1902 October
Launched at the shipyard of Chantiers & Ateliers de St. Nazaire, St. Nazaire, for Societe Anon. des Armateurs Nantais, Nantes. Assigned the official French Reg. No. _____ and signal ____.
On her maiden voyage from St. Nazaire to Cardiff in ballast she ran down and sank a British collier off the Bristol Channel. The subsequent enquiry found that the Laënnec had not been sufficiently ballasted to get the required stiffness to be managable.
Sold to Compagnie Plisson
1911 December 12
Damaged in a storm at Santander while discharging her nitrate cargo. Repaired on the spot under supervision of Captain Louis Lacroix.
Laid up at St Nazaire and later towed to the Canal de la Martinière.
1922 November
Sold to H.H. Schmidt & Co., Hamburg, and was renamed Oldenburg. Employed as a cargo-carrying sail training ship.
1925 March
Left Hamburg in ballast for Callao.
1925 June 2
Came to Montevideo under jury rig after having lost her main topgallant and top masts and mizzen topgallant mast off Cape Horn.
Sold to Seefahrt Segelschiffs-Rederei GmbH, Bremen, on behalf of the Nord Germanischer Lloyd.
Sailed from Bremen to Valparaiso in 106 days.
Sailed from Iquique to Bremen in 97 days.
Sailed from Bremerhaven to Callao in 170 days.
1930 August
Sold to the Finnish Government and was renamed Suomen Joutsen. To be used as a sail training ship for the navy. Rebuilt and two Scandia engines were installed.
Laid up and used as a submarine mother ship during the war.
Rerigged and used under sail again.
Last sailing.
Towed to Åbo to be used as stationary seamen's school for the merchant navy.
The seamen's school closed and the ownership of the Suomen Joutsen was transferred to the City.
The ship is now a museum ship.


Updated 1998-06-18 by Lars Bruzelius

The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships | Search.

Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.