An iron barque built in 1877 by Alexander Stephen & Sons, Glasgow, as Yard No. 215.
Dimensions: 211'0"×33'6"×20'45 and tonnage: 1046 GRT, 1015 NRT and ____ tons under deck.
Rigged with royals, over single topgallant and double topsails.
- 1877 November 21
- Launched at the shipyard of Alexander Stephen & Sons, Glasgow, for Killick, Martin, Ritchie and others, London. Assigned the official British Reg. No. ____ and signal ____. Employed in the ... trade.
Captain Joseph Smith Crane late of the same owner's ship John C. Munro.
- 1878 January 17 - June 2
- Sailed from Glasgow to San Francisco in 136 days.
- 1878 July 30 - November 25
- Sailed from San Francisco to Liverpool in 118 days with a cargo of wheat. The Dallam Tower which sailed on the same day as the Mabel Young arrived to Liverpool 122 days out.
- 1878 December 23 - April 15
- Sailed from Liverpool to Calcutta in 113 days.
- 1879 June 10
- Sailed from Calcutta for Dundee with a cargo of 1220 tons of jute, 150 tons of bone dust and 50 tons of old iron.
- 1879 July 31
- Foundered some 30 miles SE of Algoa Bay on voyage from Calcutta to Dundee with a cargo of jute.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- MacGregor, David R.: The China Bird. The History of Captain Killick, and the Firm he Founded: Killick Martin & Company.
Conway Maritime Press, London, 1986 (2nd rev.). 4to, 224 pp, ill.
Updated 1997-05-15 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives.
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.