An iron fullrigged ship built in 1876 by W.H. Potter & Co., Liverpool.
Dimensions: 258'2"×40'2"×23'8" and tonnage: 1686 GRT, 1608 NRT and 1498 tons under deck.
- 1876 June
- Launched at the shipyard of W.H. Potter & Co., Liverpool, for Australasian Shipping Company [?], Liverpool. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 74550 and signal QFRD. Employed in the Australian emmigrant trade.
- LR 1979-80: Owner: Heap & Son, Liverpool; Master: Captain W. Watson.
- LR 1989-90: Owner: Australasian Shipping Co., Liverpool; Master: Captain Gray.
- Sold to J.J. Moore & Co., San Francisco.
- Sailed from Port Townsend, WA, to Cape Town in 72 days under Captain N.K. Willis.
- 1906 December
- Made her last voyage under sail in ballast up the Pacific coats. Wrecked on the bar of the Columbia river.
- Sold to Captain James Griffiths, San Francisco.
- Sold to Canadian Pacific Railway, Vancouver.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- O'Leary, R.J.: Saga of the Melanope.
Sea Breezes Vol. 2 (1946). pp 56-59, ill.
- Melanope to be hulked as a Breakwater.
Sea Breezes Vol. 2 (1946). p 171.
Updated 1997-04-16 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives.
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.