An iron barque built in 1864 by T. Royden & Sons, Liverpool.
Dimensions 52,22×8,48×5,40 meters [171'2"×27'8"×17'7"] and 600 GRT, 591 NRT and 576 tons under deck.
- 1864 June
- Launched at the shipyard of T. Royden & Sons, Liverpool, for Gunston & Co., Liverpool.
Assigned the official British Reg. No. 50286 and signal WHMJ.
Employed in the South American trade.
- Lloyd's Register records the following dimensions: 164'0"×28'0"×18'0" and 591 tons. [LR 1865-66]
- Sold to T.M. Gladstone, Liverpool. [Between 1872-1879]
- 1879 August 19
- 22 shares were sold to R.W. Leyland & Co., Liverpool, who became the manageing owner.
- Sold to Heinrich Bauer, Rostock, and was renamed Hulda.
Assigned the German signal MDNS. The new measurements were 52,18×8,47×5,39 meters and a tonnage of 589,69 RT.
Captain Eduard Bruß, Ribnitz, was given command of the vessel.
- Sailed Liverpool - Buenos Ayres - Rosario - Bergen, Norway - Gothenburg - Gelgoa Bay - Cassack, Australia - Liverpool via the Cape of Good
Hope. Captain Bruß died on the 1st of December 1895 during the last leg
of the journey and the First Mate E. Voß assumed command of the ship.
- Captain Richard Rickmann, Rostock, was appointed as the new master of the ship.
- 1898 October 27
- Left Bremerhaven for Grangemouth in ballast.
- 1898 November 3
- Dismasted in a storm off Grimsby. The crew including the captain's wife was taken off the ship by the German stem ship Emma
Sauber of Hamburg under command of Captain Grevenitz and brought to
Newcastle. The wreck was towed to Grimsby by the steam trawlers
Imbricaria and Cynthia on November 6. The ship proved to be too damaged to be repaired and was condemned and sold.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- Walker, David: Champion of Sail. R.W. Leyland and his Shipping
Conway Maritime Press, London, 1986. 4to, 191 pp, ill.
Updated 1997-05-17 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives.
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.