Built in 1859 by Ditchburn & Mare (Thames Ironworks & Shipbuilding Co), Blackwell, as a 36-gun, armoured iron steam frigate. The armour belt which covered the entire battery was 4½ " thick and was backed by 18" inch of teak. Equipped with Penn's horizontal trunk engines developing 5267 ihp.

Taken out of active duty in 1881 and subsequently served as a stationary training ship and a torpedo depot.

Originally armed with:

26 68 pound muzzle loading guns
10 110 pound Armstrong breech loading guns
4 40 pound Armstrong breech loading guns
2 20 pound Armstrong breech loading guns
1 12 pound Armstrong breech loading gun
1 6 pound muzzel loading gun
At the time of her completion the most powerful ship-of-war in the world.
1859 May 25
Laid down at the shipyard of Ditchburn & Mare (Thames Ironworks & Shipbuilding Co), Blackwell.
1859 December 29
1861 October 24
1864 November 22
Paid off and taken to the Portsmouth Dockyard for a refit.
Paid off.
1901 May - 1902 July
Served as a hulk for torpedo stores.
1902 August
Served as a depot ship for the Portsmouth destroyers and was renamed Vernon III.
1904 April
Served as a floating workshop at the Naval Torpedo School the HMS Vernon, Portsmouth.
1923 Octover 1
Given back her original name.
1923 October 23
Converted to a mooring hulk for oil tankers at Pembroke Dock.
1979 June 12
Handed over to the Maritime Trust.
1979 September 2
Towed from Milford Haven to Hartlepool.


Updated 1998-12-08 by Lars Bruzelius.

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships.

Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.