Passenger ship built in 1947 by N.V. Koninklijke Maats. "De Schelde",
Vlissingen, as the Willem Ruys for N.V. Koninklijke Rotterdamsche Lloyd,
Rotterdam. Her dimensions was 631'2"×82'0"×29'2" and tonnage: 23112
GRT and 12401 NRT.
- 1938 January
- Ordered to be built, but lay uncompleted on the stocks at
N.V. Koninklijke Maats. "De Schelde", Vlissingen, for the duration of the war.
- Launched and delivered to N.V. Koninklijke Rotterdamsche Lloyd,
- 1964 January
- Sold to Achille Lauro, Naples.
- Renamed Achille Lauro.
- 1965 August 29
- Suffered considerable damage after a serious fire while
- 1966 April
- Back in service.
- 1972 May 19
- The bridge and accomodation was damaged by fire.
- 1975 April
- Collided with the livestock carrier Yousset which was
- 1981 December 3
- A fire occurred in a bar and three passangers were
killed during the evacuation.
- 1985 October
- Taken by Arabian terrorists in the Mediterranean who
murdered an American passenger.
- 1994 November 30
- Caught fire off the coast of Somalia en route
from Genoa to the Sychelles. The ship was abandoned without loss of life.
- 1994 December 2
- The burnt out hulk sank.
Updated 1996-03-18 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives.
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.