A four-masted barque built of steel in 1904 by W. Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow, Scotland, as the Kurt for G.J.H. Siemers & Co., Hamburg. The hull was of the tree-island type and she was rigged with royals over double top-gallant sails. Her dimensions are 102,2x14,3x8,1 meters [335'3x46'9x26'6] and with a tonnage of 3109 GRT, 2875 NRT and 5300 DWT.
Sister ship to the same owner's four-masted barque Hans built in the same year.

1904 April 20
Launched at the shipyard of W. Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow, Scotland, for G.J.H. Siemers & Co., Hamburg.
Laid up in the port of Astoria at the outbreak of the First World War.
Confiscated by the United States and renamed Dreadnought.
1917 September 18
Renamed the Moshulu when it was discovered that there already was another Dreadnought registered in the US.
United States Shipping Board, Emergency Fleet Corporation. Sailed with cadets for the American Shipping Board.
Sold to the "Moshulu Navigation Co. (Charles Nelson & Co.)", San Francisco.
Bought for $ 40.000 by Charles Nelson
Laid up in Los Angeles, later to be moved to Lake Union, Seattle, and finally to Windslow, Washington.
1935 March 14
Sold to Gustav Erikson, Mariehamn, Finland, for USD 12.000 and put on the Australia-Europe weat trade.
1940 April 9
Arrived to Norway at the same time as the Germans were occupying the country. Laid up in Kristiansand during the rest of the war.
1942 March - July
Used as an accomodation ship by the Germans.
1942 November
Towed from Kristiansand - Horten, where she was de-rigged.
1947 September 18
Drifted during a storm, grounded, foundered and sank.
Bought for $ 20.000 by Gisken Jacobsen and J.P. Skotnes, Narvik
1948 May
Salvaged, and bought by Tryggve Sommerfeldt, Oslo.
Sold to Sweden.
Sold to Hans Schliewen, Hamburg, for his fleet of sail training ships but never delivered.
Bought by Svenska Landtmännens Riksförbund, Stockholm, to be used as a grain barge.
Bought by the Finnish government to be used for grain storage in Nådendal. The price was 3200 tons of Russian rye.
1970 May
First bought by Disneyland, California, and then sold to an American consortium called Specialty Restaurants. Towed to New York after having been re-rigged with phoney masts and spars in Amsterdam.
After a year at the South Street Seaport, New York, she was moved to Philadelphia, PA, to be outfitted as a restaurant.
A fire in the galley caused the restaurant to be closed.
Moved to the New York Ship Company pier, Camden.
The masts was removed prior to planned breaking up of the ship.
1996 May
Moved back to Pier 34, Philadelphia, after repairs and rebuilding. Will be re-opened as a restaurant.


Updated 2003-03-24 by Lars Bruzelius.

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships | Four-masted ships & barques | Search.

Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.