A four-masted iron barque built in 1884 by W.H. Potter & Sons, Liverpool.
Dimensions: 95,70×12,87×7,53 [314'0"×42'3"×24'9"] and
tonnage: 2631 GRT and 2564 NRT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails.
Sistership to the same owner's Reliance (1884).
The traditional Corsar figurehead, a winged horse, is preserved at the Sjöhistoriska Museet, Stockholm.
- 1884 July
- Launched at the shipyard of W.H. Potter & Sons, Liverpool, as Yard No. 119 for C.W. Corsar, Liverpool, but managed by W.T. Dixon & Sons, Liverpool.
Captain J. Ward was given command of the ship.
- Charles W. Corsar took over management of the ship.
Captain T.S. Bailey.
- Reduced to a barque.
- 1900 December 28
- Stranded at Lavernock Point, Cardiff, but got
off without any major damage.
- 1910 May
- Sold to A/S Pegasus (Chr. Nielsen & Co. mgrs), Larvik, Norway.
- 1912 August 27
- Grounded at Märket on voyage Sundsvall, Sweden, to Melbourne with a timber cargo.
Got off the ground three days later with only the jigger mast standing and was subsequently
towed to Reval where she was condemned and broken up.
Updated 1997-04-26 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.