An iron full-rigged ship built in 1863 by J. & G. Rennie, London.
Dimensions: 177'0"×32'6"×20'7" and tonnage: 848 GRT, 848 NRT and 782 tons under deck. The forecastle was 28' long and the poop 36'.
- 1863 September
- Launched at the shipyard of J. & G. Rennie, London, for Daniell & Co., London. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 48552 and signal VTGQ.
- Sold to Devitt & Moore, London. Employed in the Australian trade.
- 1872 - 1877
- In command of Captain Samuel Nicholson.
- 1877 - 1882
- In command of Captain Malcolm Nicholson.
- 1882 - 1889
- In command of Captain F. Northey.
- 1889 - 1890 June
- In command of Captain Charles Maitland.
- Reduced to barque rig.
- Sold to W.B. Jones, Swansea.
- 1892 August 4
- Abandoned at sea in position 58°S, 70°W after the cargo had shifted in a strong gale. She was on voyage from South Shields to Valparaiso with a heavy cargo of iron, lead and coal.
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- Course, A.G.: Painted Ports. The story of the ships of
Messrs Devitt and Moore.
Hollis & Carter, London, 1961. 8vo, x, 230 pp, 6 plates.
- Lubbock, Basil: The Colonial Clippers.
Brown, Ferguson & Son, Glasgow, 1948 (2nd).
Updated 1997-05-06 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet |
The Maritime History Virtual Archives.
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.