An iron full-rigged ship built in 1885 by Oswald, Mordaunt & Co., Southampton, as Yard No. 231. Her dimensions are 81,84×12,7×3,66(d) meters [268'6"×40'2"×12'0"] and tonnage 2170 GRT, 2118 NRT and 2014 tons under deck.
Sistership to the ship Fulwood (1885).
- Launched at the shipyard of Oswald, Mordaunt & Co., Southampton, originally for R.W Leyland & Co., Liverpool, but completed as the Southgate for Chadwick & Pitchard, Liverpool.
Assigned the official British Reg. No. 91286 and signal KFBL.
Captain R.N. Smith was put in command of the vessel.
Employed in the Indian jute trade.
- 1886 March 6 - June 25
- Sailed from Penarth to Singapore.
- 1886 October 30 - April 22
- Sailed from Chittagong to Dundee.
- 1888 June 29
- Bought back by R.W. Leyland & Co., Liverpool, and was renamed the Wavertree.
- 1892 June 7
- The general cargo from London took fire while in Sydney.
- 1892 October 3 - November 14
- Sailed from Newcastle, NSW, to Valparaiso.
- 1903 August 21
- Captain John Wingfield Yates.
- 1904 February 8
- Captain William Barton Tilston.
- 1905 February 2
- Captain John James Simpson.
- 1908 October 12
- The steam ship Morayshire collided with the Wavertree in Ellesmere Port.
- 1910 December
- Dismasted off Cape Horn and condemned at Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. Sold for £ 2850. She subsequently served as a storage hulk at Punta Arenas, Chile, until 1948.
- 1947 August 6
- Sold to Luis Uribe Parilla-Mutis as "old iron".
- 1948 January
- Transferred to Buenos Aires where she served as a sand barge under the name Don Ariano N..
- Bought by the South Street Seaport Museum, New York, and preserved as a museum ship.
A.G. Spiers & Alan Villers: The Wavertree, an Ocean Wanderer, New York, 1969.
Updated 1998-06-26 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Ships | Search.
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.