A four-masted steel barque built in 1911 by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg.
Her dimensions are 96,60x14,30x7,93 meters [322'8x47'2x26'5] and with a tonnage of
3091 GRT, 2882 NRT and 4700 DWT.
Rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails.
Sister ship to the same owner's Peking
built in the same year.
- 1911 September 20
- Launched at the shipyard of Blohm & Voss,
F. Laeisz, Hamburg.
- Laid up in Iquique during the war.
- Transferred to the French Government as compensation
for war damages.
- 1921 December
- Bought back by
F. Laeisz, Hamburg, for £ 13.000.
- Sold to
Gustav Erikson, Mariehamn, Finland.
- Laid up in Mariehamn during the war.
- Viking and
Passat loaded deals for East London and Table Bay. Both ships carried passengers.
Passat arrived at Tabel Bay after 82 days.
- 1947 May - October 6
- Sailed from Port Victoria to Falmouth f.o. in
- Sailed from Port Victoria to Queenstown f.o. in
- 1950 December
- Sold together with Pamir to van der Loo, Antwerpen, to be scrapped.
- Sold to H. Schliewen, Lübeck, to be used as a sail-training ship.
- 1954 April
- Sold at auction to Schleswig-Holsteinisches Landesbank.
- Sold to Stiftung Pamir und Passat, Lübeck.
- Had to seek refuge in Lissabon when the cargo of grain shifted in a hurricane.
Laid up in Hamburg after the loss of the Pamir.
- Stationary school ship in Travemünde.
Presently preserved as a museum ship in Travemünde.
Updated 1998-02-03 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.