City of Adelaide
A composite (iron & teak) full-rigged ship built in 1864 by William Pile Jr, Sunderland.
Dimensions: 53,85×10,13×5,64(d) meters [176'8"×33'2"×18'8"] and tonnage: 860 GRT, 791 NRT and ____ tons under deck.
Originally rigged with single topsails.
- 1864 May 7
- Launched at the shipyard of William Pile, Sunderland, for Devitt & Moore, London. Assigned the official British Reg. No. 50036 and signal WGLQ. Employed in the passenger and cargo trade between London and Adelaide.
- In command of Captain John Bruce.
- Sailed from London to Adelaide in 65 days, pilot to pilot.
This was considered the record for the distance which was held together with the Yatala until it was bettered by the Torrens in 1880.
- Sailed from Adelaide to London in 140 days, during which voyage she was becalmed off Cape Horn.
- In command of Captain L.W.E. Bowen late of the same owner's full-rigged ship Gateside.
- 1874 May 25
- Left London for Adelaide.
Australian Line of Packet Ships.
To sail from the River punctually on the 25th May calling at Plymouth to embark passengers direct for Adelaide. This fine ship, built expressly for the Adelaide trade and noted for her quick passages, has a full Poop fitted with Bathrooms and every other comfort for the accomodation of Cabin Passengers; she also offer a desirable opportunity for a few Second Class and will carry an experienced surgeon.
[Sailing card, 1874]
- 1874 August 24
- Stranded on the Henley Beach, six miles south of the Semaphore opposite Adelaide. Refloated on September 4 after some of the cargo had been discharged.
- In command of Captain Alex. Bruce.
- In command of Captain E.D. Alston late of the same owner's full-rigged ship Gateside.
- Laid up.
- Sold to T. Dixon & Son, Belfast, who re-rigged as a barque
and put her on the North Atlantic timber trade. Captain J. McMurtry was put in command.
- Sold to the Southampton Corporation for £ 1750 and was used as an isolation hospital on the River Test, off Millbrook.
- Sold to the British Admiralty for £2500 and was renamed HMS Carrick. Moved to Irving on the Firth of Clyde and was converted to a
training ship for the Clyde Division of the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve.
- Moved to Greenock and commissioned as a Naval Drill Ship.
- Presented by the Admiralty to the R.N.V.R. Club (Scotland).
- Sold to the Clyde Ship Trust for £ 1 by the RNVR Club
(Scotland) whose headquarters at Glasgow Custom House Quay she had been since
- Square-rigged ships, general references.
- Course, A.G.: Painted Ports. The story of the ships of
Messrs Devitt & MooreDevitt and Moore.
Hollis & Carter, London, 1961. 8vo, x, 230 pp, 6 plates.
- Lubbock, Basil: The Colonial Clippers.
Brown, Ferguson & Son, Glasgow, 1948 (2nd).
- Morrison, Jim: Time, Tide and the Carrick.
Sea Breezes Vol. 64 (1990), pp 847--854, ill.
- Paul, Wm. Pratt: The Vesatile Carrick.
Sea Breezes Vol. 13 (1952), pp 238-244, ill.
Updated 1998-08-14 by
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Copyright © 1997 Lars Bruzelius.