An aux. three-masted top-sail composite schooner built in 1874 by Bowdler, Chaffer & Co., Seacombe, to the design of St. C. Byrne. Dimensions 190'×38'4"×25' and tonnage 334 GRT, 227 NRT and 532 tons Thames Measurement. Equipped with a 64 nhp aux. 2-cylinder compound steam engine from Laird Brothers, Birkenhead.
Launched at the shipyard of Bowdler, Chaffer & Co., Seacombe, for Lord Brassey. Assigned the Official British Reg. No. 70573.
1876 July 6 - May 26
Sailed from Cowes around the world and back.
1876 September 28
Saved the crew of the coal-laden barque Monkshaven of Whitby which had caught fire off Rio de la Plata. The Monkshaven was 68 days out of Swansea on voyage to Valparaiso at that time. Lady Brassey gives the name of the captain of the Monkshaven as "Runciman". The Monkshaven was a wooden barque of 657 tons which had been built by Smales, Whitby, in 1873.
Participated in the trans-Atlantic race, in which she finished in sixth place.
Lent to the Royal Indian Marine as a hospital ship for the army and later lent to the Admiralty.
Passed to Henry Leonard Brassey after the death of Earl Brassey on 1918, February 23.
Presented to Devitt & Moore's Ocean Training Ships Ltd. Sailed from Bombay to Plymouth where she arrived in July 1920, but was never used as a sailing training ship.
Sold to Sir Walter Runciman & Co., Ltd., Newcastle and used as a private yacht.
Transferred to Sir Walter Runciman.
Sold to Messrs. Thomas Ward Ltd., Morecambe, to be broken up.


Updated 1998-01-21 by Lars Bruzelius

Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives | Ships | Schooners

Copyright © 1998 Lars Bruzelius.