A four-masted steel barque built in 1902 by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow, at a cost of $ 270.000 (approx. £ 54.000).
Dimensions 107,10×14,95×8,58 meters [351'5"×49'1"×28'2"]
and tonnage 3756 GRT, 3599 NRT and 3651 tons under deck.
Rigged with with royal sails above double top and topgallant sails.
Together with her near sister-ship Brilliant the largest four-masted barques ever built. She had two decks and was equipped with a donkey engine and two steam winches.
- 1902 January
- Launched at the shipyard of Russell & Co., Port
Anglo-American Oil Co., London.
Assigned the official British Reg. No. 114182. Captain J. Reade was given command of the new ship.
- Captain H. Nickerson, Nova Scota.
- Was scuttled and sunk in the harbour of Yokkaichi, Japan,
to extinguish a fire onboard.
- Sailed from Kobe to New York in 119 days. She was 10° north of the Equator 84 days out from Kobe.
- 1906 May
- Captain John McBryde late of the same owner's four-masted barque Eclipse replaced Captain Nickerson who left to take command of the
William P. Frye.
- 1907 May
- Sailed from New York with a cargo of 35.000 cases of
kerosene oil for Melbourne where she arrived after 79 days.
- Sailed from Vizagapatam to Philadelphia in 145 days [with a cargo of manganese ore?].
- Sailed from Hong Kong with a cargo of tea and maté to Cape Henry in 109 days.
- 1909 July
- Sailed from New York to Anjer in 86 days.
- Rebuild in New York to carry oil in bulk in the main tank.
- 1910 December 24
- Sailed from New York to Bombay in 130 days.
- Sailed from New York to Bombay.
- 1911 June 24
- Sailed from Bombay to Diamond Shoals in 115 days.
- Sailed from Hong Kong to the Five Fathom Bank Lightship, Delaware Capes, in 87 days.
- Sold to Tank Storage & Carriage Co., London. Captain C.
- Sold to Standard Transportation Co., Hong Kong. Captain
- 1920 October
- Sailed from San Francisco to Manila with 150.235 cases of kerosene.
- 1921 June
- Arrived to San Francisco from Manila with 1428 tons of copra.
- Sold to Charles Nelson & Co., San Francisco, for $ 22.500. To be used in the timber trade, but her deep tanks made her less suitable for loading long timber and she was laid up in Oakland Creek, San Francisco Bay.
- 1924 April
- Sold to the Daylight Ship Co. Ltd. (James Griffiths & Sons), Seattle. Rigged down to her lower masts and used as barge to carry gypsum from the Santa Marcos Island to Long Beach, CA.
- Captain W. Stone.
- Laid up in Winslow, WA.
- Sold to Murray Simonsen, Brazil,
- Rerigged as an aux. four-masted barquentine and given the name Tangara. Equipped with a pair of 400 hp Skandia diesel engines.
- Broken up.
Updated 1998-02-01 by Lars Bruzelius.
Sjöhistoriska Samfundet | The Maritime History Virtual Archives |
Four-masted ships & barques |
Copyright © 1996 Lars Bruzelius.